Madcap Coffee is a leading coffee shop and roastery in Michigan, with venues in Downtown Detroit, Grand Rapids and Leland near Traverse City. They've been roasting since 2008 when Trevor Corlett founded the company out of Grand Rapids. Madcap now leads specialty coffee in the state and is nationally known. Read their journal to get a sense for their exacting standards.
Skills you'll develop
- Latte Art: Latte Art is a method of preparing coffee created by pouring micro-foam onto a shot of espresso, then making a pattern on the surface.
- Cupping: Evaluating the cleanness, sweetness, acidity, mouthfeel and aftertaste of a coffee to determine its overall quality.
- Tamping: Compressing coffee grinds evenly into the portafilter to ensure that the pressurised water passes through the coffee bed evenly.
- Customer Service: Delivering a friendly a professional service to ensure customers are acknowledged, informed and satisfied. Also receiving feedback in a visible way to make the customer feel heard.
- Service Orientation: Knowing how to allocate your time to maximize total customer happiness.
Pay & compensation
Hourly pay starts at $12.50 for inexperienced baristas, and increase to up to $17 per hour
1413 Farmer Street next to Shinola Hotel (Google Maps)