The Industrial Sewing and Innovation Center (ISAIC) is the national sewn goods manufacturing and training nonprofit based in Detroit above the Carhartt store in Midtown. We drive innovation, profitability, and sustainability in supply chains while creating jobs that provide dignity and opportunity for all. We envision a manufacturing workplace that defies outdated models by providing people centric environments, ongoing learning, equity in growth and a commitment to ethical practices. Using flexible and transformative approaches to training and career advancement, we combine traditional skills with those required for emerging technologies.
Skills you'll develop
Professional Sewing Specialists develop a range of skills in the trade, some specific to the role and others more generally transferable between jobs. They include:
- Advanced Apparel Manufacturing: Knowledge of the emerging technologies in advanced manufacturing and how this will impact sectors in apparel.
- Sewing Machine Operations: Ability to use single needle, coverstitch and serger machines, and change needles, and thread machines.
- English Language Literacy: Read, write and speak conversant to read instructions and communicate with colleagues.
- Numeracy: Ability to make accurate, mental calculations using numbers in a time-pressured environment. Includes multiplication, addition, division and subtraction.
- Digital Literacy: Knowing how to use digital devices and remembering how to navigate between applications to find information and communicate with the team.
Pay & Benefits
- $12-$17 per hour (based on competency level + performance-based incentives)
- 10 paid holidays, paid time off
- 100% covered medical, dental, and vision insurance (for employees not dependents).
- Contribute to and/or purchase from a suite of additional benefits including 401k program.
5800 Cass Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202 (Google Maps)