Greening of Detroit's Adult Workforce program provides a robust professional Tree Artisan certification to unemployed residents willing to work outdoors in a job that pays a living wage. Tree Artisans help maintain the health of trees by pruning and trimming.
More than 1,000 Detroiters have graduated from the previous 55 adult workforce cohort since 2017. Graduates of the 5-week Tree Artisan course receive a stipend of up to $600, and are eligible for great jobs in the city. Jobs with 1+ year of experience can be paid $34k+ annually (example).
Skills you'll develop
- Pruning: Trimming plants and trees at the correct time of year to improve its health and yield.
- Planting & Transplanting: Placing young saplings and larger adolescent trees being careful to maximize root health and hydration during the months after relocation.
- Chainsaw Operation: Using a chainsaw to cut live and fallen branches, paying careful attention to safety of both humans and nearby overhead infrastructure.
- First Aid: First and immediate assistance given to any person suffering from either a minor or serious illness or injury until full medical treatment is available.
- Digital Literacy: Knowing how to use digital devices and remembering how to navigate between applications to find information and communicate with the team.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Resident of Detroit, Hamtramck or Highland Park and have a barrier to employment
- Most felony convictions are welcome
- Attend classes at The Greening of Detroit, 13000 West McNichols Rd, Detroit, MI 48235 (Google Maps)
The next cohort will start training on February 27th, 2023. Additional 2023 Dates will be scheduled.