Born in 1971, Amtrak took over struggling US passenger rail, offering scenic journeys across 46 states and Canada. Despite initial hurdles, it streamlined its network, launched iconic trains like the Acela Express, and grew ridership. Though still partly funded by government, Amtrak now strives for profitability, balancing modern amenities like Wi-Fi with historic routes like the iconic Coast Starlight. From humble beginnings, Amtrak continues to chug towards a bright future on America's tracks with California's routes continuing to thrive.
Skills you'll develop
- Greeting Customers
- Provide assistance to customers with special needs, assist passengers with luggage, and boarding trains
- Make ticket reports promptly, properly safeguard company funds properly, and prepare related reports
- Giving verbal and printed information to passengers including schedules, fares, routing, city highlights, boarding information, tours and other intermodal transportation.
- Ensure all passengers board trains ahead of departure, verifying travel documents and ensure compliance with baggage requirements prior to admission to station platforms
- Janitorial duties
- Handle checked baggage, package express and company materials in the station and on/off train
$27.08– $36.11 per hour